Exercises To Strengthen Ankles,
Enhance Blood Flow & Stimulate Energy Channels In The Legs
These exercises to strengthen ankles work by gently stretching your ankle joints and surrounding soft tissues, enhancing local blood flow, and stimulating nerves and energy meridians in your lower legs, feet and ankles.
Some of the exercises use your body weight as resistance.
The first exercise is called the Ankle Stretch and Roll. Following that are links to additional leg and ankle exercises on this site.
Together they comprise effective exercises for weak ankles, for preventing ankle sprains and strains and for maintaining strong, flexible legs. Check with your health professional first though before trying any new ankle exercises, especially if you have a history of leg or ankle problems, or you haven't exercised for some time.
Ankle Stretch & Roll
1. Best done lying down.
Lie on your back on a firm bed or something similar such as a flat couch without arm rests.
Slide down till your feet and ankles hang off the end.
Rest your arms by your sides.
2. Begin by gently stretching your feet as far forward as you comfortably can, i.e.
by pointing them away from your body.
Feel the tops of your feet and your shin muscles stretching.
Then, bend them back towards your body as far as you can.
Feel the bottoms of your feet and your calf muscles stretching.
Repeat this forward-backward, foot & ankle stretch 15-20 times, or simply do it
for a couple of minutes.
3. Gently turn both feet around in circles at the ankle joint. Do it so that they are turning
towards each other, i.e. one turns clockwise and the other anticlockwise.
Move each foot through its full range of motion.
Do 15-20 circles, then turn each foot 15-20 times in the opposite direction, i.e. so that they're turning away
from each other. Or, simply do it for a couple of minutes.
Repeat steps 1-3 once or twice a day.
- Stretches & strengthens your ankles
- Enhances blood flow in your feet, ankles & lower legs
- Stimulates nerves & important energy channels in your legs and feet
- Prevents ankle sprains & strains
- Breathe slowly, deeply and evenly through your nose during the exercise
- Stop if you feel any pain in your ankles - Don't force it!
- Do this ankle exercise in bed before you get up and again at night
Strong, flexible legs and ankles help support your body and provide good balance. The Ankle Stretch and Roll, and other Chinese exercises to strengthen ankles and legs (below), combine to form an effective leg exercise routine.
More exercises to strengthen ankles and legs:
Back to top of this page:
Exercises To Strengthen Ankles